Jim has over three decades of specialist litigation experience that is widely recognised within the legal, insurance and business communities.
Jim was admitted as a Solicitor in NSW on 19 December 1986. He joined the firm of Ellison Tillyard Callanan in 1992, was appointed an Associate in 1996 and a Partner in 1998. Now, Jim is a Partner at Rankin Ellison.
At the forefront of the rapidly emerging area of medical and health claims, Jim represents employers in claims arising from disciplinary action and redundancy, advising on the premium impact of such claims. He also advises on industrial relations matters related to outstanding claims, including ongoing employment issues.
Jim has personally handled negligence claims and industrial issues for some of the largest employers in the State in a broad range of industries, including aged care, recruitment and labour hire, packaging, food and beverage, glass and local government. He is available to provide training and seminars to employers and insurers on both their work claims and Occupational Health & Safety obligations.
- As a Director in one of the State’s leading Respondent firms, Jim built a substantial practice in Statutory and Common Law litigation in the WCC and the District and Supreme Courts of New South Wales.
- Jim has developed a unique claims management consultancy, advising employers on how to reduce their costs whilst fulfilling their legal obligations within a changing regulatory environment.
- Jim has extensive experience in defending claims made against the NSW Ambulance Service under instructions from NSW Treasury Managed Fund and has developed a particular expertise in the area of psychological claims.
- During a 6 year period employed at the NSW WorkCover Authority, including as Acting Manager of the Legal Branch, Jim was involved in the defence of insurance claims, the prosecution of employers, legislative drafting of amendments, ministerial submissions and written advice to the executive arm of Government.
Memberships & Admissions
- NSW Law Society – Member
- Supreme Court of NSW, 1987
- BCom LLB UNSW
- Leading Workers Compensation Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2020
- Leading Workers Compensation Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2019
- Leading Workers Compensation Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2018
- Leading Workers Compensation Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2017
- Leading Workers Compensation Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2016
- Leading WorkCover & Workers Compensation Lawyers – Sydney – Doyles Guide 2015