Nick is a Director in the firm’s insurance litigation practice and is regarded as one of Australia’s leading lawyers in his specialist field of Dust Disease litigation.
Nick began his career at a major Plaintiff law firm. In addition to working in the prestigious London law firm, Bird & Bird, he joined A O Ellison & Co in 1978 and was made a partner in 1984. Nick has been a Director at Rankin Ellison since 2015.
With more than four decades’ experience in litigation, Nick has acted for defendants, their insurers, self-insureds and for some uninsured defendants over the past 25 years. He has handled many Statutory Claims, Common Law Claims and Toxic Tort Claims, as well as Occupational Health & Safety matters.
Nick’s work has involved novel and complex legal and medical issues, advising on legislation and insurance issues, as well as traditional litigation claim management. His expertise has taken him to defend matters in Victoria, South Australia and Queensland, giving him a thorough understanding of the legal issues associated with Toxic Tort Law nationally and internationally.
Nick practices in the Supreme and District Courts, as well as State Tribunals. His experience enables him to provide accurate, timely and realistic advice and assistance to clients, including many of the major litigants in the field. He adopts a hands-on approach to litigation, personally attending court hearings and settlement conferences to ensure the best outcome.
- Nick has acted in hundreds of matters before the NSW Tribunals and, prior to the Tribunal, on the earliest cases involving product exposure in other Courts.
- Nick has shown industry leadership in educating clients and industry and in supporting best practice legal practice and legislative reform.
- In 2008, Nick acted for the Defendant, Amaca Pty Limited (formerly James Hardie & Coy Pty Limited) in the high profile Bernie Banton case. It raised important and unprecedented legal issues, such as that of provisional damages, which was taken to the Court of Appeal for review with just 48 hours to prepare.
- Nick has worked closely with some of the world’s leading experts in the toxic tort field.
Memberships & Admissions
- Supreme Court of NSW
- High Court of Australia
- Law Society of NSW
- Diploma of Law, LAPB, 1973
- Leading Dust Diseases Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2019
- Leading Dust Diseases Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2018
- Leading Dust Diseases Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2017
- Leading Compulsory Third Party Insurance Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2016
- Leading Dust Diseases Lawyers – NSW – Doyles Guide 2016